Lucky Cat

Lucky Cat
Lucky Cat Welcomes You

Friday, June 1, 2012

SPRING IN NO CO

Here's a quick update on the happenings in Timnath-

I just added on a small patio room, all glass with screens. More living space for my tiny house.   It will be a four seasons room I think, as the patio fireplace is now inside and can be used for some warmth.  Window coverings being installed next week, plus more electrical capability and an overhead fan.  Considering flooring now.  Will post photos when there is more to see.  The cats love it because my bird feeders are right outside and they lay in front of the open sliders and stare at the chirpers.  Below are photos of the new rescue kitty, Timothy Preston, aka Tiny Tim.  He is an uncommon breed called Cornish Rex with wavy hair and giant bat ears. He'll be tiny and athletic his whole life, God help me.  The kitten loves Aidan way more than Bear ever did and Aidan is in heaven with a little brother to follow him around. Timmy had to be declawed on his front paws last month  because he was climbing to the ceilings via the slightest toe holds (including art work) and then crying because he couldn't get down.  Hurt his leg once falling and that cinched it.  Despite my misgivings and reservations, I did it and he was perfectly fine within a few days.  I still miss my Bear Boy dreadfully and we have had 4 animal deaths in the family since I got here last fall plus Gracie right before I left San Diego.   Sigh.... 

Timmy is almost 6 months old now


Aidan and his little shadow, Timothy

Sydney Eugene is doing quite well at The Gabriel Foundation and I continue to see him frequently.   Attached is a photo of us at a Ft. Collins outreach event this year.   Every three or four weeks I make and take a hundred or so organic birdie mini muffins for him to share, various toys and his favorite junk food (nutter butter bites, pretzels, etc) and spend the day in Elizabeth, CO.  I'm going to do some photography for the foundation - portraits of the parrots who are adoptable, which will then be uploaded into Petfinders and other publicity sites. I attend a lot of the PR and education events with Sydney. The goal is for people to understand the enormity of the commitment of taking on a large parrot and how to make an informed choice.  Sydney has a special cockatoo friend named Katie as well as a myriad of human "Boos" at his disposal. His wing feathers have grown out and he is flapping around, building the chest muscles he needs to fly in his shared outdoor flight aviary.  He comes in to his own luxury cage every night.  When I arrive he recognizes me immediately and cuddles and chatters, but doesn't seem disturbed at all when I leave.  The decision to place him in lifetime sanctuary was so painful and yet it's had such a positive outcome - what a relief to know he is safe and flourishing. 
Sydney telling mom all the aviary gossip

 The family is fine and I do a lot with the sissies.  Have made some new girlfriends through sewing classes and the volunteer work.  Wednesday is sewing day every week at my house and it's a good thing, because it forces me to clean house on Tuesdays!  I miss my Sylvia and Carmen and am debating about getting some "staff support" for housekeeping.  I would go without a lot o other things to lighten that load.  Spoiled and lazy, that's me.

BFF Mags Lew is arriving next Tuesday for a week.  She is altitude-sensitive,  so my house is base camp at 5,000 feet.  A week from tomorrow we're going up to Estes Park, 7,000 feet, for the Wool Market  - lots of fiber arts vendors and various sheep, alpaca, yak, goat and lama related events. Plus they have a great quilt shop there!  .  I hope to bring home a baby alpaca - NOT!!!!    My family always looks forward to her visits, so we have sewing (yes, she drank that Koolaid a while back, in addition to her knitting and weaving and crocheting habits), cafe/shop hopping and a big Mexican food fiesta planned for her here at the house.  Plus we lay around and catch up on all the many "Criminal Minds" episodes on my DVR. 

Spring has sprung her in NoCo.  Baby critters everywhere, my backyard is in full bloom and a robin is nesting in the aspen tree right outside my dining room window, at eye level!  Mama bird went out to get a snack the other day so I snuck around to look in the nest and there are three beautiful blue eggs.  She got wind of the intrusion and came barrelling back.  Memo to self - wear helmet when spying on active bird nests!  We have baby horses, cows, pigs, goats, sheep and lamas nearby.  Below are a couple of shots of the foals and moms.  Sister Stacie and I go frequently to look at them and we have named quite a few.  We started with spices, like Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Pepper, Saffron....then we found out there were 71 foals and that was the end of naming the babies.  Nutmeg was the first foal of the spring and he is our favorite.

Two late spring foals, still in the small mom/baby paddock
Espresso and Latte are their names


Older kids with moms and aunties in the big pastures

The really white mare in the foreground seems to be the alpha of the group


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment!